"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."

Monday, September 6, 2010

Without the rain, there would be no rainbow.



Rain. How does one express something that they love with more than just words. It's more like a feeling of emotion mixed with memories, thoughts and faith. All together it becomes something you can almost taste because you have made it tangible in your memory.
For the first time since being in France it rained, and it was wonderful. Since serving my mission in England, I have become quite fond of the rain. As I was looking out the window today, I thought to myself, how on earth did I manage to go out every single day it was blustering and pouring rain and do missionary work!? I remember so many of my companions hating the fact that it rained all the time, and even before I left for my mission, people from home would comment to me saying, "I hope you don't get depressed over there with all the rain and the dreary weather!" Well, I am proud to say, that just as Jeffrey R. Holland quoted whilst visiting my mission, "I loved the rain....the dreariness of it all" (paraphrased). I remember walking down streets in the rain wearing my boots, my scarf wrapped tightly around my neck and tucked snug in my wool coat, my tracting bag secured at my side and my hands trying to keep warm in my coat pockets...I would look around me and see all the green and just think to myself wow- I am in England, on a mission to share what I love most. Feelings of gratitude for such a wonderful opportunity would overwhelm me and then a few of my companions would wonder why Sister Anderson was just so happy to go out and work in the rain. Maybe I am a crazy person, but I felt ever single drop of rain as more than just a storm, but as an experience of a lifetime. Today- I was reminded of all these things as I walked in the city centre here and thought wow- I am in France. What am I going to learn here that I can take away with me?
Tomorrow is my first official day at the University of Nantes. Tomorrow is also the day I have decided I will turn off english all together and immerse myself whole heartedly into the french culture and language! So, no more speaking in english for me. Even if I am struggling to express myself, I will pull out my pocket sized dictionary that has now become a constant companion of mine, and I will find what i need to say! I know that I can do this...with time!

No comments:

Post a Comment