"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September 1, 2010

Today was Orientation at the University of Nantes. I got up early and took the tram to the Uni and then waited around with a ton of other students until they called us into a big auditorium where we were introduced to our teachers, program and were required to take a placement test. Let's just say that this placement test was a little more advanced than my french was. So I did the best that I could and I think I am in the beginning level. I am going to try and get into the second level at least though because come on! I can speak a little french and I definitely know more than the students who have never taken french before! I am pretty sure 90% of the students were asian which was really encouraging seeing as how I know they will kick my but in just about everything. So I need to remember that I am not competing with anyone here, but only challenging myself. After the orientation, I sat down on the sidewalk outside and looked around at everyone and had a few thoughts:
1. Is this even worth it? It is going to help me at all to be in the Uni, because so far I feel like I am not improving at all!
2. I can do this, I just need to try harder than I have been.
I decided to go with the second thought. I took the tram to the City Center, went and bought a really good french sandwich which was served on a baguette. Mmmm. It was delicious! I sat down at the city center fountain and ate my sandwich while I listened to french music on my i-pod. As I was enjoying the lovely day, the drunk man that ran me over yesterday was sauntering around with his socks half on his feet and he spotted me and came within 4 inches of my face and said something weird in my face. I just looked at him and then got up and left just as he was laying down by some other people in a model position. This guy is definitely not right in the head.
Anyways, I walked around for about one hour and went into some shops and tried to speak a little french. It was pretty hard, mostly because people don't want to be patient with you, but I realize that I can't let this discourage me. So I kept trying. When I got home, I tried to speak most of the afternoon with Vanessa in total french. I have my best friend, my french-english dictionary and I have been impressed with how many things I remember from my studies! I only had to look up a few things. So I feel this is the way I am going to push myself. NO MORE ENGLISH- unless I am on here of course. I am even trying to only listen to french music and I am reading the Book of Mormon in french and I will start reading a novel in french as well.
I don't have any pictures up today, so I apologize for that, but sometimes I don't want people to know I'm a tourist here ya know?! I'm trying to act like I'm a real french person.
The leaves are starting to fall - and it's really lovely. Scarves are soon coming out! :)
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment